Nationwide, women are increasingly influential in family decisions about charitable giving. Recognizing this, the Community Foundation of Monroe County, through a group of dedicated women is looking to establish Women In Philanthropy. Women In Philanthropy is a philanthropic community uniting powerful, visionary women who are committed to effecting lasting fundamental change.
- Ensure that women have the information they need to be effective philanthropists.
- Provide financial support to community organizations dedicated to improving the Monroe County area.
- Continue to grow ongoing and mutually beneficial relationships with our community.
- Develop generations of women philanthropists.
How We Work
- Each member commits $1,500 over three years to be added to the Women In Philanthropy Endowment.
- The interest generated from the endowment is utilized for making grants to the community.
- Each year the Women In Philanthropy Committee selects areas of focus, which could be but are not limited to: arts/culture, economic/employment development for women, education, environmental issues, and health/human services.
We Learn About Issues
- Women join with varying levels of familiarity with philanthropy.
- Members are informed about programs within the community, its issues and opportunities in the community.
- The hands-on process is educational for even experienced philanthropists.
We Can Make A Significant Impact
The power of many women giving together has a tremendous impact.
- Consider the strength of numbers. Organizing with others to provide a pooled gift that can make an impossible project possible. In this way we can respond to community-wide needs with focused grants.
- Teach the art of philanthropy to the next generation. Instill in your children and grandchildren the values you treasure.
Ways to Participate
Do a Little…The Women In Philanthropy members commit to making a three-year contribution and voting on grant recipients. Each member has one vote. We do not have fundraising and no obligatory meetings. All members are on the same
Do a Lot… Members who want to be more involved are encouraged to do so through the grantmaking process and attracting new members.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where does my membership contribution go? All of your contribution will go into the Women In Philanthropy Endowed Fund. The interest generated from the fund will provide the grants to the community.
- How can I help? By being part of the steering committee to help us steer the Women In Philanthropy in the right direction.
- How can I pay my membership?Is my contribution tax deductible? All contributions to the Women In Philanthropy are fully tax deductible.
- Check payable to the Community Foundation of Monroe County
- Gift of stock
- Payment of credit card.
“When women are fully involved, the benefits can be seen immediately: families are healthier; they are better fed; their income, savings, and reinvestment go up. What is true of families is true of communities, and eventually, the world.”
Former UN Secretary Kofi Annan
Dr. Barbara J. LaHood
Joan D. Mahalak
Laura Schultz Pipis
Since its inception the women of the GROW Endowment Fund have raised $64,000. From the proceeds of the investment of the fund we have been able to award $26,000 in grants to local worthy non-profits as follows:
2009 Soroptimist – Girls Circle
Sunrise House – Family Counseling and Shelter
MI Masonic Charities
2011 New Beginnings Mercy House
Monroe County Child Advocacy Center
2012 Family Counseling and Shelter Services
2013 Learning Bank
Women Empowering Women
New Beginnings Mercy House
2015 Allies in Monroe – AIM
Women Empowering Women